Experience | Backstage London Fashion Week

Saturday 13 September 2014
Sorry in advance for the poor photo quality, these were taken on my IPhone in a rush, but there decent enough for you to get the idea of what it will be like. I absolutely loved this experience and will definitely do it again next fashion week but for more shows. For the job as a dresser I emailed a few designers via their contact details on the London Fashion Week Schedule website, doesn't matter whether you email a sales or press contact they will direct you to the right person. I only emailed about five designers and it was only a few weeks before fashion week, but I would advise you to email a couple of months in advance and email every single designer scheduled to showcase, because every designer will need a load of dressers. Also understand that this is an unpaid, voluntary job which you should be happy with, as they are giving you first hand experience into the fashion industry, which you can meet many professional industry contacts. Also use the 'Fashion Workie' website to find dresser positions, for Fashion Week and also other fashion shows.
 
On the day that I was working which was only yesterday while I am writing this, I was so nervous, yet so excited, I had always wanted to work backstage. As I made my way into backstage door B, I walked into a bunch of people watching the makeup tutorial of how the makeup should be. I met some lovely co-dressers and we chatted for a while as there was plenty of time to waste. The clothes hadn't arrived just yet but once they did it was two outfits per rail, and you teamed up with another dresser. So two dressers per model which has two outfits. My model was Viktoria, she was really nervous as this was her first ever catwalk but she was so lovely.
 
I was surprised how calm it was actually going, as I had a vision of clothes flying everywhere and everyone running around frantically. Well it was calm for the first outfit walk as they were they outfits they had rehearsed in so there was plenty of time, but once your model runs to you for second outfit change, that's when it got hectic. First outfit for my model was a playsuit which was really easier to take off, however the second rushed outfit, took a while, the top had a dodgy zip, and be prepared to run with your model to the line up queue, I was still doing her accessories a second before her walking out.  
 
That may sound stressful but it's only stressful for a minute and there plenty of people to help with small aspects so don't panic, it's a brilliant experience and would definitely recommend anyone who wants to go into fashion to work as a dresser even if it's just one show.
 
Backstage Dresser Tips:
 
  • Wear all black, comfortable clothing.
  • Don't get in the way of anyone, including models, management and most importantly the designer.
  • Go to the toilet way before its dress time because your end up holding it in.
  • If you have time, speak to industry professionals, not if their busy!
  • Don't just stand around, make yourself aware of how the clothing works, such as zips.
  • Communicate with your model, they don't bite!
 
 
 
(Photos by Jordane Davis @streetorchic)
(Photos by Jordane Davis @streetorchic)
(Photos by Jordane Davis @streetorchic)
(Photos by Jordane Davis @streetorchic)
(Photos by Jordane Davis @streetorchic)
(Photos by Jordane Davis @streetorchic)
(Photos by Jordane Davis @streetorchic)


Post Comment
Post a Comment